Introverts are often stereotyped as quiet, reserved individuals who are excellent listeners. While this may be true for some introverts some of the time, not all introverts are great listeners.
I am indeed an introvert and can come across as a good listener, as I may not say a lot or be economical with my words when I do. But I have had to work on improving my listening, because while I may look like I’m listening, I may:
- be thinking about what to say next
- be finding solutions to the problems that others are sharing
- be worried about how I’m going to say what I’m about to say
- be anxious about what others might think of me or if I said something they disagree with
- be lost in my own thoughts about whatever is being discussed or something else entirely!